Pages

On Toddler-Wearing



When my daughter was born, I grew a fast love affair with wearing her. It felt so natural having her close up for snuggles and comfort while I went for a walk, cleaned dirty dishes, or she just wanted to closeness to mama. We used a Boba wrap because of it's elastic fabric, or I wore her in the front in an Ergo. As she grew older and more independent, I thought that our baby-wearing days were over. Until I noticed that a good number of mamas were wearing their toddlers too.

Why is this necessary if they can walk, I'd wonder to myself? So I asked a few mamas why they wore their toddlers. This is what they told me:

  • Toddlers enjoy snuggling with mama too. Some days they feel tired, and out of control in this big world. Keeping them close while you run an errand or make dinner can smooth brewing meltdowns. 
  • Sometimes it's just easier and safer to keep them close. Like at the mall, in a crowded store, or crossing the street. 
  • Carriers are much easier to stow away then strollers. Carriers can be folded up and stashed in a bag and some really lovely wraps can be worn as a scarf on a chilly day until ready to use. 
  • Mamas feel more connected to their toddlers when they are in a wrap, and can engage them in conversation easily. Toddlers are also at the same vantage point as mom, and can ask questions and chat about what they observe freely. 
  • Toddlers are well, slow. They are wonderful for days when you're in a hurry. Sometimes you need to get someplace fast (Little Butterfly has literally stopped to smell roses while I was trying to catch a train. The scenic route is a beautiful thing unless you have to be somewhere!). 
So we tried it out. And found all of these to be true. We still give our daughter plenty of unrestricted play time and let her hold our hand on walks if she prefers. We also always ensure she *wants* to be in the wrap when it's offered. I think these components are key. I've also discovered another benefit to toddler-wearing: being able to use both hands whilst transporting a toddler, two bags and a carseat at the airport. Boom! 

Dear friends, do you wear your toddler? Which wraps are your favorite? Do tell! 

1 comment:

Sheena Leon said...

I'm going to share this on my baby wearing Ireland fb group!