Pages

Story Time: The Listening Walk

When I'm at the bookstore (or better yet, a thrift store where the children's books are 75 cents each), I normally buy the ones from my childhood. Sharing them with my daughter is such a joy. But this is a book I wish I had when I was a child. It's also one of the only books I don't mind reading 23 times a day. With a toddler this also means out of order and one page in particular over and over, of course.

It's a story about a girl, her dad and their dog on a "listening walk" around their nearby parks, local streets, and backyard. There's no dialogue. It's everything the little girl hears on their walk - including the "bik bok bik bok" of a woman's shoes, the "tring tring" of a bicycle bell and the "bzzzzz" of the bees. Listening to my daughter repeat the same sounds on our own walks is a real thrill! Plus, a good book about a girl and her dad is something to treasure. Can you share any others with me?

-Jesse

No comments: