Pages

Our Simple Indoor Play Space













One of the biggest challenges (of many) while setting up a play area for our almost 2 year old was space. Downsizing can be liberating and frustrating all in the same moment. While the thought of setting up an entire extra room full of toys and crafts sounds exhausting. Attempting to make our tiny living room appear grown-up all the while finding a spot for an enormous stash of Legos and a train set is a bit like trying to squeeze a king-sized inflatable mattress in your camping tent. It makes things easier but where do you put your other cool stuff?

I had a few nights with Pinterest playrooms dancing in my head. I knew I wanted to create a space with natural, beautiful, open-ended toys (ie: wood over plastic, no flashy toys). Not only would our living room look lovely even with a play space, these toys can be banged up without breaking, and cherished for years to come. That's not to say that I spent major bucks on toys either. Most often I've found things second hand, on sale - even in our backyard or recycling bin!

I set everything up one afternoon, placing toys in every nook and craning of our living room. There were baskets full of puzzles, musical instruments galore, every book ever bestowed on us, and every ball, sweet doll, and wooden block we ever collected. Yet we still had enough space for our couch and entertainment center. Perfect! But a few days in, I was puzzled.

"You have so many wonderful toys! There must be something you'd like to play with." I'd hear myself pleading.

Much to my surprise (okay, dismay), Little Butterfly would play with a toy for a few minutes. Then she'd ask for a cracker. Then raisins. Surely she was becoming a spoiled child, I'd think. All these beautiful things and she just wants to sit around snacking!

I soon realized, her play space was missing one important element: Simplicity. There was just too much. It was all overwhelming. Now we rotate many of our toys fortnightly. Each shelf now has 1-2 musical toys. One stacking toy. One toy car. One puzzle. One craft. A few toy animals at a time. Her nature table, books, and silk scarves will change seasonally. You get the idea.

Does it ever get boring with only a few toys to choose from, one might wonder? Well, sometimes. When that happens, that's what the outdoors are for (that's another post entirely).

Mamas, I'd love to hear about your playroom! Is there one toy in particular your child just loves? How do you keep your sanity and your kids happy? Please share in the comments! 

-Jess

2 comments:

Betty @ Betty'sGarden said...

What a wonderful play space! Thanks for sharing it with us. I love the idea of rotating toys biweekly and seasonally - can't wait to try!

Shalini said...

Wow. that's an interesting idea. I shall surely try it out for Sid. Right now we just have a basket full of his topys and his favourite activity has been to pull them one by one and explore. He has never emptied the basket yet, so we assume he is not bored.