Then another toddler right of passage: Little Butterfly was hit in the head with a ball by another toddler. Twice. At first she looked puzzled. Then she cried, oh how she cried!
"That looked like it hurt! You look really upset. You were surprised that he threw the ball at you. And then he did it again. Are you okay?" I said, trying to comfort her.
"Baaall! Ouch!" The boy was whisked away by his apologetic mom. I knew he probably did it innocently to see her reaction. Or maybe he was tired.
Every day for the week, Little Butterfly would remember this incident. If we walked by a tennis court, "baaall, ouch!" Or if we saw a ball illustrated in a book, "baaall, ouch!"
It obviously wasn't resolved for her.
We decided to come up with the plan: Say, "stop" if she was ever worried about another child throwing a ball at her. We role played for a few minutes. She seemed to get it. Afterwards she looked more at ease, and I couldn't help but smile as she practiced holding her hand up like an officer with a badge, "dop!"
I wondered if she'd ever use the word in real life when she needed it.
The next evening, after a warm bath we sat as I combed her hair. Then she turned to me,
"Dop!" She said firmly, with a hint of a smile on her lips.
She didn't use the word carelessly. She looked empowered. Like the broken crayons and bits of cracker in her back pocket, she was waiting to use her new word (and fancy hand gesture) for the right moment when she needed it again.
Oh sweet girl, I hope your pockets are filled to the brim with words of courage as you navigate the world around you. Whether it's another boy with a ball on the playground, or simply being honest with me.
PS - we recently bought a food mill and made homemade applesauce. I was surprised by how easy and fun it was. I'm curious what your family makes with a food mill? I'm looking for new recipes.
Xoxo - Jesse



6 comments:
love this!!! It's so amazing how fast they are growing and learning! I'm amazed every day!
Chills. I love your posts so much. They are written in such a way that I feel like I am there and feel how you must feel. I get a sense of how I imagine it feels to be a mother for a few minutes. It's wonderful and, even though I still probably have no clue what it really feels like, I find myself rereading them because of it.
I hear you Jessica! Seems like just yesterday we were emailing about our pregnancies!
That is the ultimate compliment Laura thank you!! You are so wonderful for saying so. Love you.
Beautiful story Jess, of patience and reminding us to find delight in the small things in life. I always enjoy reading your stories honey.
Thank you, mom. :)
Post a Comment