Yesterday Little Butterfly woke up unspeakably early (ahem, in the 4's). Before I could slap my hand to my head and sleepwalk into her bedroom, my husband turned over in bed and drowsily whispered, "It's raining."
Then he promptly put a pillow over his head and fell back to sleep. He's been working long hours at his regular job, and then late into the night on a budding side project. If anyone needs to rest it's him.
I stayed in bed for another minute daydreaming about curling up in bed with a good book. I'm reading Great Short Stories Of The Masters and there's one by Flannery O'Conner I'm eager to get lost in. Maybe I'd have a hot cup of hazelnut coffee at my nightstand...
"Monny! Monny! Up!" I heard from the next room. Rats!
We went downstairs and I lit one of our homemade pine-scented candles on our nature table. I cracked the door and we listened to the rain on our porch. Pat, pat, pat, pat. I watched as Little Butterfly concentrated on her blocks for almost an hour, carefully taking some blocks out of the basket, putting others back in. We made scarf bows on our heads and danced around the living room singing,
"It's raining, it's pouring! The old man is snoring!"
Then we gathered all the pillows and blankets we could muster (Little Butterfly's new favorite activity), and read Pumpkin Soup and The Five Little Pumpkins we recently found at the used book store. I sleepily sipped on cold coffee I kept misplacing.
We looked up and saw Baba walking down the stairs to join our rain day fun. I soon forgot about my warm bed, O'Conner, and hot coffee. There will be other rainy days for that.
3 comments:
So cute!!! Magical childhoods - that's what it's all about!! F has been up in the 4s as well lately!! ;)
Oh no - I'm sorry you're up in the 4's also! It's not easy! Give your Finley a kiss for me. :)
Love this! I can relate all too well with the coffee getting cold. Sometimes I microwave it and then forget about it I'm the microwave!
Post a Comment