Pages

Come here...


Lately, wherever I decide to go - perhaps chop an onion for dinner, or put some socks away, maybe consider sitting down to rest (the horror!) - I'll hear echoing through the halls in a full on frenzy, "Mommy, come here!"

It always hits me with a jolt, like walking outside in the freezing rain and forgetting my umbrella. I'm needed. With a husband dragging his feet to bed at midnight some nights, from working one full time job and pursuing his own startup - this means that I'm needed around the clock. There are moments when I feel like I'm running out of steam, and I simply cannot give my undivided attention while she speaks.

Luckily, Baba was around for two weekends in a row, in which we ventured to a charming art festival tucked away in the woods - complete with giant cookies, chili, and a creative corner for children - and the following weekend explored a new favorite area to hike. We lingered, and slowly meandered dirt paths filled to the brim with pine trees. It recharged my batteries in a way that allowed me to pause more, and meet my eyes with hers - no matter how trivial. I felt all there, in the moment with Little Butterfly. Entirely. And I know Baba felt that way too. It's the tough times that pushes us to be present and love better - and what's more important to "love better" than our family?


4 comments:

Unknown said...

So glad you got to recharge!! Great writing, as always :)

Linda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda said...

Life lessons learned. Here's to lingering & recharging. :)

Jesse said...

Thanks for the kind words Laura and Linda - yes - the recharging was definitely needed and appreciated!