Pages

Bits Of Summer Bliss


Summer is a magical time in the land of bay breezes and self-driving cars.

It's a time to stay inside some days when it's too hot to enjoy the park, and leave out loose parts in random corners of the house - anything from sparkly jewels, to tiny toy animals, seashells, colorful shapes, wool roving, pieces of ribbon. Then I hope for the best that my children find something clever to do with it all. They nearly always do.

It's a time to visit the aquarium on the coast and watch as Brother Butterfly bursts out chuckling after touching a piece of slimy seaweed, and listen with smiles across our faces as Sister Butterfly enthusiastically raises her hand and offers thoughtful questions and comments to our tour guide.

It's a time to continue my love for a handmade home - even if it doesn't look en vogue. Sister Butterfly decorated our table cloth in such a pretty way, using the ends of fruits and vegetables. I hand poured our beeswax candles. Dinner time has felt so warm and inviting ever since.

It's a time to take long walks in the tall, summer beige grass and observe the snails that seem to hang on for dear life as they sway back and forth in the warm breeze. The children both collect a few keepsakes for their summer nature table.

It's a time I've been asked to challenge myself in a way I never have before, and speak not once but twice as a guest speaker at our church. I was surprised as you are! I was allowed to choose topics of my choice while our Reverend is on sabbatical. My first talk I shared how daring greatly to listen and acknowledge our full range of human emotions, especially our own and our children's, has lead to a richer human experience and has led to more connection and happiness.

It's also a time for summer books, and I just finished Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert. Talk about receiving the right message at the right time! Have you read it? I've decided to start writing a work of fiction - and have dedicated myself each morning to researching and writing. It's been so fun!

What about you? What are you reading? How is your summer going and what summer fun have you been having?
-Mama Butterfly

No comments: