My children are loved. They wake each morning knowing this to be true. They climb into our bed at the crack of dawn, and are greeted by two sleepy parents who deeply understand them. Warm blankets and even warmer hugs cover them each night. Baba Butterfly makes a hearty breakfast each morning ("don't forget the honey, Baba!"), and I lovingly prepare food throughout the day to fuel them on their many adventures. Our cozy home is a safe haven from the storms outside in a world that sometimes has its grey days. We have filled our home with books to read, thoughtful toys to play with, and soft pillows to rest on. We work tirelessly on creating learning opportunities both inside and outside our home. Our dinner table is full of wholesome food, along with discussions about our joys and struggles - along with extending kindness, respect, and compassion to others and ourselves.
But this is nothing unusual or particularly special. Every parent I know does these things for their children. I'm likely describing you, dear reader!
Yet, I do realize that in some ways, my parenting style might look different. I've only grown more confident and passionate as I've practiced this philosophy these last 5 years, and I'm currently taking classes to become certified. I see so many rewards - from my children's genuine happiness and authenticity - to their ability to play independently and even settle many of their own sibling struggles with a little help. They also understand boundaries and limits in life, and are free to express themselves. It's a true labor of love! Not that I haven't made my fair share of mistakes along the way....
But it works for us!
I'm lucky to have wonderful support on this parenting journey - including my parents and my closest friends near and far. I feel so much respect and love and connection with these special people. I think of them and smile every day.
The truth is, that I also sometimes get unsolicited criticism, judgement, and people who push me in a negative way to "explain my parenting choices." This isn't done with curiosity and respect. This usually feels like an ambush. I'm singing and laughing and feeling joy, and then this negativity hits me in the heart like a tennis ball gone rogue. Does this ever happen to you all too? It's so hard!
These hard situations come from good parents with different points of view.
To those people: We can have different points of view, and still respect one another. Frankly I no longer wish to hear negative comments, or feel forced to explain my parenting any longer. It's not because I'm better than you. It's nothing personal. I love to laugh, feel joy, sing, and dance. I also love genuine curiosity, a true listening ear, respect, compassion, kindness, and love. I'll be sure to extend that to you too. Better yet, come sit at our dinner table and my children will likely model it for you.






















No comments:
Post a Comment