Pages

Self-Care Is Like Making A Grilled Cheese Sandwich


Learning self-care is a lot like learning how to cook, I've learned. You watch Jacques Pepin create camembert with pistachio crust on TV but you decide to start slow with grilled cheese because you think your needs are simple. You begin buttering the white bread you found from the back of the pantry (and wonder if you buttered the wrong side) and sprinkle on the cheese and flip the bread and surprise yourself by how you didn't burn it like you imagined. It's done in no time, and you sit down in a quiet corner and find yourself relishing every last bite. You're not sure why this little sandwich is bringing you this much joy. Was it the perfectly melted cheddar cheese or was it because you made it with love for yourself to enjoy? You go throughout your day feeling a bit recharged and confident. 

A few weeks go by and after too many long days with fast food runs that left you empty, you're thinking about that ooey-gooey grilled cheese you made yourself, which felt almost sacred. This time you decide to upgrade your sandwich to a good crusty French bread because you want it to be beautiful. You slowly butter both sides of the bread because why not? And decide to add in some luscious provolone (because that's how you roll now), along with a tomato, and green chilis to spice it up. Suddenly you can't imagine life without this marvel of a sandwich. Plus it only took 10 minutes to make. 

You guys. Self-Care is basically like eating grilled cheese sandwiches. It's easy and replenishing and while you may not want the same grilled cheese every day, you need it like all nourishing foods. 

What Self-Care is not? It's not a luxury. It's not over-indulgent. And it's not selfish. It's freaking grilled cheese. What I mean is, Self-Care is not just for moms, but is definitely required for all moms to feel balanced and whole (the yearly massage won't cut it). Regular self-care nourishes our souls, relieves our nervous systems, inspires our dreams, and really, truly shows ourselves the self-love we deserve. 

I'm finding that being a mom is a gorgeous experience, but being a happy, fulfilled mom who takes the time for self-care makes the experience even richer. Below is my routine that I aim to do for 15 minutes to preferably 1 hour each evening.  I'd love to know, what does your self-care routine look like?

My Self-Care Night Routine
*No social media at least 2 hours before bed (just say no to scrolling!)
*Warm bath with the works - I go all out with my baths because they are the much needed alone time I need each night to recharge for the next day. I usually include epsom salt, candles, lavender oil, and quiet music because it truly helps me de-frazzle and makes the experience feel special and sacred. 
*Low lighting is something I aim for in the bathroom and in my bedroom each evening. I find it soothing and de-stimulating, especially after loud and busy days with the kids and I'm feeling extra sensitive. Himalayan salt lamps and these wax burners are really soothing. 
*Reading books that inspire me - right now it's anything by Brene Brown or Dr. Wayne Dyer or Louise Hay. Though I read plenty of fiction too because my reading mood changes like the cheese on my sandwich. 
*Meditating and/or Visualizations  - I used to turn my nose up at meditation (scoff actually) until I read the 76 benefits and then discovered guided meditation. Now I'm obsessed! This one is my favorite, but I love this one too. If I'm too tired to meditate, then I visualize what I'm grateful for and imagine my wishes and goals fulfilled. This can take just a few minutes before sleep. Why visualizations before bed is important is explained beautifully here
*I Don't Go To Bed Worried, Distressed, Or Fearful - If I'm feeling negative emotions before bed, I don't get bogged down about it. I'm a human being and living the full human experience! But I don't want to go to bed and let those feelings marinade in my subconscious all night. So I get out of bed, meditate on my feelings for as long as I need, and let them go when I'm ready. If I'm feeling really stuck, I'll read inspiring words or remind myself that the universe has my back. It always does!

-Mama Butterfly 


2 comments:

Beehappy said...

I totally agree! Part of my morning routine is making a coffee from scratch. We have an aeropress so it's a manual process. I grind the beans and enjoy the smell, I turn on the kettle and putter in the kitchen while it's heating up, then I make my coffee and sit down with it for a few minutes and tell the kids "Mommy is enjoying her coffee right now". It's a whole ritual. Sometimes when I'm in a rush and I opt for the tassimo, it isn't nearly as satisfying and relaxing.

Jesse said...

Diana - Even the way you describe making the coffee sounds like pure bliss! I imagine your kids know when mom gets coffee, she needs some peace!