Hey there, Jesse here! I am now blogging over at a new site called Weave In Wonder. It's the place where moms learn how to feel their happiest with meaningful self-care, respectful parenting & fun play ideas. Meet me over there!
<3
I'm in the rocking chair in the children's room, with Brother Butterfly sitting sideways in my lap. I'm not rocking but gently holding him still and comfortably, looking into his eyes. His cheeks are plump and his lips are pursed like he's waiting in the slow checkout lane at the store. He signs the word for "milk" by squeezing his fist together, and I remind him that we are no longer nursing. I offer him cows milk and he quickly refuses.
"You look upset," I say to him. "You'd like mama's milk and I'd like to stop nursing. I'll hold you and sing you a song like we usually do, and then I'll put you down in the crib. I'm here for you." He grunted and put his cheek against my chest, and we sat their quietly, figuring this out together.
A few days ago I stopped our breastfeeding relationship, which was only at night. I loved every minute of breastfeeding up I didn't love it anymore, when I dreaded the unexpected bites and soreness. A breastfeeding relationship, like any other relationship, needs two willing participants.
I asked Sister Butterfly who shares a room with him, to be as understanding as possible while her brother needed some extra support at night time the next few days. I'll admit, it's been no picnic sharing a room with the extra waking up and tears.
Even understanding 5 year olds have their limits.
"Close your eyes, Brother! No more milk for you! Just go to sleep already!"
Brother Butterfly burst into tears, and I slumped my head in my hands, tired and exasperated.
Sister Butterfly gets up from her bed and sprawls herself across us, diagonal and one foot wrapped around mine, as if this was the most comfortable place in the world. She envelops us both with her arms. But really, it was with her heart.
Brother Butterfly relaxes again and my annoyance immediately melts away.
I sat there in the chair, with both children draped over me with their eyes closed, and I am filled with joy.







2 comments:
We're going through similar changes too! I've been night time weaning because it just got to a point where I felt like I had a newborn again. It can feel so hard but even the last couple days have felt so much more freeing after not nursing all night.
Best of luck navigating nightime weaning Diana. Glad you're feeling more rested and free. :)
Post a Comment