Stunning pink sunsets by the ocean really feel like magic. Yet, I don't have to wait for special outings like these to truly enjoy the view. Just the other day, I was cleaning up our back patio, when I noticed both children had brought out all of my handkerchiefs. I sat down to observe, tired from sweeping away sand, and discovered that they were imagining a snowstorm outside. They needed to keep warm in their playhouse to wait it out, and only the "finest silk scarves could truly protect them." Their interactions were so thoughtful and earnest - I sat and enjoyed the view without interfering (although, I noticed later that one handkerchief was a family heirloom - eeks!).
These simple, slow days when my children choose their own play are my favorite times to enjoy the view. Brother Butterfly racing his truck along the ground with more speed than yesterday and Sister Butterfly singing a song while she colors in the kitchen feel just as magical as any pink sunset. While teaching games and guiding children is fine on some days, sitting nearby without distractions and enjoying the view has brought me much more joy and connection. Best of all, my children feel accepted, understood, and loved for exactly who they are, and what they are intrinsically inspired to do. I'll admit, I also enjoy these long stretches of time sitting with a cup of coffee while my children play independently because it honors my needs as a parent.
I'd love to know, when is your favorite time to "enjoy the view" with your children?
"Observe more, do less, enjoy most!" - Magda Gerber
















2 comments:
Love it!
Thanks Andrea :)
Post a Comment