A few days before Christmas, I felt myself running out of patience with my husband too. If you could see me, you'd find me sighing at the clock (why does he work so late?), taking the trash out in a huff (doesn't he see it's full?), and cleaning up gadgets left on the kitchen table from his side project. There is no time for this, I'd think. I have holiday gifts to shop for!
On Christmas Eve, I was determined to slow down and enjoy the day. If you could see us, we were happily busy in the kitchen, preparing a Middle Eastern feast similar to what Mary and Joseph might have eaten complete with lentil stew, homemade hummus, cucumber salad, and kalamata olives. Little Butterfly made her own "Santa food" (in the nude of course) on her play kitchen and helped me stir the stew. We listened to Christmas music and talked about Santa visiting us that night.
That evening we attended a Christmas eve service. Little Butterfly spun barefoot in circles during the carols while other attendees chuckled nearby. That's my girl.
Our minister also shared a story about a young boy who brought his beloved teacher a sea shell from the coast of an island. When he presented the shell to her on Christmas, she discovered it was a day’s journey to the coast to find such a treasure.
She looked down at him, amazed by how far he walked for the gift.
“Long walk part of gift,” he said.
Ah, I needed to hear that. This precious time is not just about festive food, holiday gifts, and a tidy house. It's the journey. I'm not going to have a toddler that skips shirtless next to me at the grocery store every December. Or a little hand helping me stir our Christmas stew. And one day I might miss these curious days of watching my husband work tirelessly on his side project.
Yes, the long walk this time of year is certainly part of the gift. I hope you all enjoyed the journey of the season this year! Merry Christmas!










3 comments:
Loved this one!!!!!
Love this!!
Thank you Laura and Nikki! I always appreciate your kind words!!
Post a Comment