"How old is your daughter? Does she attend preschool yet?" the mom at the playgroup asked me yesterday.
"Three. We're homeschooling her this year." I answered while pushing Little Butterfly on the swings, feeling a little vulnerable. I waited for the awkward silence that usually follows this announcement.
"Wow! I wish I could do that." she said curiously. "I actually don't love the preschool my daughter is enrolled in - I'm frustrated by the way they do certain things. But I wouldn't know how to homeschool preschool either."
I smiled and said goodbye, and followed Little Butterfly to the slides wondering if even I knew how to homeschool preschool. Sure I've read plenty of homeschool blogs and books - and have a Pinterest board thats racked up hundreds of Waldorf, Montessori, and Reggio-inspired activity pins. But how do I really know what I'm doing when I've never stepped foot inside a preschool?
Here's what I've discovered: Little Butterfly isn't some empty vessel that needs to be crammed full of knowledge. With research showing that preschools are becoming the new kinder, I'm becoming more and more confident that play matters most. Somedays I set up something clever (diy light boxes! playgroups! glitter! puppet shows! pastry making! art projects! trips to the farm!), and other days are filled with helping mama do laundry, or cook, or jump in rain puddles, or simply putter around the house while discussing why hamsters poop? Somehow combining engaging activities with real life is working for us, and this kid is truly learning, with countless ways to socialize.
Perhaps the next time I'm asked about preschool, I'll have the confidence to describe our days with more eager assuredness. Until then, I have these blog posts and photos to remind me that everything is going to be okay!
No comments:
Post a Comment